What is a Farm Share?
Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a model that is growing in popularity. It provides a direct connection between a customer and farmer, and it’s good for everyone involved. The Farmers (that’s us) get important cash flow at the beginning of the season, and the Shareholders (that’s you) get the best local vegetables, fruit, eggs, meat, and cheese available, a community of like-minded members and a healthy diet. Most of these shares are designed to feed a 3-5 person household, or 1-2 avid cooks and are priced at a bargain. Don’t think you can eat it all? Share it with a friend!
How do I sign up for the CSA?
It is easy to sign up for our CSA Farm Shares. Once you have decided which Shares you want, simply go to our Registration Form Page and select your payment plan. You will get an immediate confirmation and we will email you a secure, electronic, itemized bill within 2 business days.
Please contact us for prorated pricing once the Summer-Fall or Winter-Spring distribution season has started.
Are you a student? Are you interested in “sharing a Share”? Do you need financial assistance? We can work something out for you! Just give us a call or email us at email@example.com.
Why should I have a CSA Share?
- Save Money – Buy your local, organic food for the season up front and pay less for it than at the supermarket. Cook from raw ingredients, they’re less expensive.
- Buy Local – Your support helps small local farms stay afloat and guarantees them a market for their crops. Connect with the food you eat by meeting your farmers and exploring the farm.
- Eat Well – Buy the freshest food for your family. Explore new foods and learn to use them in your cooking! Relevant recipes and cooking techniques are included in your weekly newsletter.
- Be Healthy – Eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. Eat meat and eggs packed with nutrients. Share healthy eating habits with your family and expose them to a variety of local food.
- Protect Farmland and the Environment – Support farmers who take care of their land by growing food in ways that take care of the soil. Cut down on the number of miles your food travels from the farm to your plate.
- Build Community – Meet other Farm Share members during distribution days. Share what you’ve cooked on Instagram with the hashtags #Groundworks and #whatididwithmycsashare to help inspire others.
Is your produce grown organically?
Our produce farm is USDA Certified Organic.
We annually test our vegetable field nutrient levels and use only certified organic compost and other certified organic soil amendments to meet our needs. We use cover-cropping to protect our waterways from nutrient leaching during the winter and to build up soil organic matter. Cover cropping improves our environment and soil health. We “rest” some of our fields every year, growing a cover crop instead of vegetables to avoid pests and build up soil organic matter.
We start all our transplanted plants in compost-based germinating mix.
We don’t spray herbicides and use insect netting and crop rotation to control pests and diseases. To control weeds, we use cultivation tools and mulches.
We believe that plant health starts with soil health.
We partner with other Local Certified Organic Farms to bring you the best quality and diversity of local fruits and vegetables each season has to offer.
What if I can’t make it to a CSA Pickup?
Not a problem. You can send a friend, family member, colleague or neighbor in your place! Or, if this is not a possibility, we will work to get you your Shares a different way! Please be sure to contact Margaret as far in advance of your missed Pickup as possible! Here are a few possibilities:
-You can “double up” your Shares at your next CSA Pickup.
-You can pick up your Shares on a different day at one of our other locations.
-We can donate your Shares to one of these great hunger-combating organizations in your community for you:
We just ask that you please email Margaret (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements for any of the above changes to your Share pickup so we can be sure to bring your Shares to the correct location!
Do you have a question that isn’t answered here? Please email Margaret at email@example.com for the answer!